Why do I need a Ventilation System?
As one of the most important elements of any HVAC or air conditioning system, ventilation has an impact on both air quality and energy efficiency.
Ventilation can be defined as the process by which clean (or outdoor) air is supplied to a space and stale air is removed. This allows you to control indoor air quality, removing any pollutants from the air. It can also be used to control temperature and humidity.
Most new build homes have some form of MVHR ventilation, but systems can be installed in older homes too. As well as in domestic contexts, ventilation systems are generally required in commercial and industrial environments, or any indoor space where many people congregate.
Good ventilation can bring a whole host of benefits, from odour control to improved health. These are the key advantages of having a ventilation system:
- Reduced Condensation – Removing excess moisture from the air helps reduce condensation, lowering the chances of surface damage and mould.
- Cleaner Air – Ventilation removes any impurities and pollutants from the air, making it much cleaner.
- Better Health – Good ventilation can help alleviate the symptoms of hay fever and other conditions, limiting the spread of respiratory diseases.
- Decreased Odours – The system can filter out any foul or unpleasant smells.
- Increased Comfort – It can help create a more breathable and comfortable environment.
- Improved Productivity – A ventilation system can help you be more productive by controlling the air quality and temperature.
- Lowered Energy Costs – Regulate or reduce energy bills by controlling the air flow in your building, improving energy efficiency.
- Controlled Temperatures – You can use a HVAC system to keep the temperature and humidity levels inside your building the same year-round.
Depending on where you live or work, you might have to spend a great deal of time indoors, in poorly ventilated spaces. Poor ventilation can pose a serious health risk, so it's important to have a system in place to ensure that the air quality is up to standard.
As well as benefitting your health, a good ventilation system is effective at creating a comfortable and productive environment to live and work in, with clean air. It could even help you save money on your energy bills!